The annual summer meal program will offer free breakfast and lunch to children this summer. Any child under 18 can receive free breakfast and lunch at eight lunch locations and two breakfast locations from June 20 and Aug. 25.
The traditional South Albany High School Senior Walk was today. The annual event is part of the graduation rehearsal schedule. Students were bused to their lower-grade schools before finishing graduation ceremony preparations at the Linn County Expo Center.
Today, students visited Lafayette, Sunrise, South Shore, Timber Ridge, Periwinkle and Oak elementary schools and Calapooia Middle School.
The official graduation ceremony was tonight.
Adjustments have been made to the bell schedules at all schools. The changes will be in place when school starts in the fall.
The changes will reduce differences in start and stop times among same-level schools. Elementary schools will be in two bell schedule groups rather than nine different schedules, and they will gain 20 minutes of instructional time per day. Middle schools will all start and stop at the same time.
Research has shown that students benefit from more sleep, but the natural sleep and wake cycles are later for older students and earlier for younger students. Adjusting the schedule will allow older students to start a little later in the day.
The changes are also expected to make the district transportation system more efficient.
The annual retiree reception recognized the contributions of 30 GAPS teachers, classified staff and administrators who are leaving the District after serving Greater Albany students for a combined total of 539 years.
Family members and friends joined retirees at the tropical paradise-themed reception. Human Resources Director Randy Lary introduced the following retirees:
- Lenora Roberts, Grade 1 – Fir Grove : 37 years
- Kerri Lemerande, Science – WAHS: 29 years
- Lori McGuire, Assistant to HR Director – District Office: 29 years
- Barb Villaruel, School Office Manager – Waverly: 28 years
- Cindy Holcomb, Grade 2 – Oak: 26 years
- Kathy Kalina, Special Education Assistant – Periwinkle : 26 years
- Karen Kennedy, School Office Manager – SAHS: 24 years
- Connie Shrout, Grade 4 – Timber Ridge: 23 years
- Judy Davies, Special Education Assistant – North Albany Elementary: 22 years
- Cindy Miller, Functional Skills – Calapooia Middle: 22 years
- Krista Hartman, College Credit – WAHS: 21 years
- Maria Martinez, Counseling Secretary & Registrar – Memorial Middle: 21 years
- Pat Weidmann, Principal – Sunrise : 21 years
- Sharon DuBeau, Language Arts – Calapooia Middle: 18 years
- Jessica Jamison-Wells, Language Arts – North Albany Middle: 18 years
- Terry Amerling, Special Education Assistant – Liberty : 17 years
- Jennifer Hagen, Personal Care Assistant – SAHS: 16 years
- Leo Huot, Assistant Principal – North Albany Middle: 16 years
- Sandi McGinnis, Special Education Assistant – Calapooia Middle: 16 years
- Robert Frampton, Special Needs Bus Driver – Transportation: 15 years
- LaDeen Marlowe, Bus Driver – Transportation: 14 years
- Gary Johnson, Custodian – Memoria Middle: 13 years
- Mary Lou Seibel, Custodian – Oak: 12 years
- Tim Haag, Grade 4 – Central: 11 years
- Ruth Holmes, Special Education Assistant – South Shore: 11 years
- Greg Lehr, Custodian – Calapooia Middle: 11 years
- Durwood Ranton, Bus Driver – Transportation: 11 years
- Joyce Stringer, Business – SAHS: 11 years
- Corina Victorio, Secretary – South Shore; 5 years
- Kim Schueller, Special Education Assistant-Communication – Takena: 5 years